Monday, November 23, 2009

Doug Johnson's List


1. Thinking technology in schools will go away.- This one mistake that took a personal jab at me. Although I know technology will never leave the school, but only become a much larger aspect, I am hoping it either disappears or my knowledge increases. Many teachers make the mistake of thinking it will disappear instead of educating themselves further.

2. Not supervising compute-using students.-This is why computers in schools have such a big block on them. Our teachers are not doing what it is they need to do. They are allowing students to search a web full of danger freely.

3. Accept the role of co-learner.- When interacting with children, they can almost always tell when you are being honest with them. It is not our jobs as teachers to know everything, but to make sure we learn what we don't know.

4. Creatively find and use resources.- As a high school student I remember having to sit through some of the most boring history classes. After graduating, and still having a passion for the subject, I promised myself that I would always keep my students alert and involved. It is one thing it assign assignments out of a book, but it is another to actually have your students say they have truly learned from your teaching environment.

5. Do not cheat, but remix, re-purpose, and sample other people's work and ideas and give them credit.- Just recently plagiarism has become more of a big deal. With new technology it is much easier for students to use the work of others and not give them credit for it. My first reaction to the increasing numbers of plagiarism was that they do not know exactly what it is they are doing, but after listening to the youth today, I came to the conclusion that they just do not care. It is very sad to have to say this about a generation that will be taking care of me, but this only drives me more to be that one teacher that makes a big difference.

6.Know what you are suppose to be learning, why, and what you will do with the knowledge.-I think the most frequently asked question in schools is "Why do I need to know this"? There has even been charts designed to deal with this question. This only means that students think they are wasting their time learning fluff, and in return, this deters them from ever wanting to further their education. Lowing the rate of this happening in my classroom could ultimately depend on my creative level.
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO VIEW DOUG JOHNSON'S LIST
CLICK HERE

3 comments:

  1. A passion for learning will go a long way in helping a young mind want to achieve. Try to instill that passion into your future students and the ones that you get motivated for learning will hopefully stay that way into adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same about many young people today -- they just don't care. Whether it manifests itself in plagiarism or something else, maybe by more teachers acting according to the brilliant suggestions given, more students will be motivated to care more about their education and their future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I visited a school for one of my other classes and the teacher I was with even told me how unmotivated students today are. It was very discouraging, but I think with the right tools teachers can change that! :)

    ReplyDelete